Do I Need a Lawyer if I am Injured in a Truck Accident?
With the amount of products and materials being transported in Austin and throughout Texas, truck accidents are an unfortunately common occurrence. These accidents are often the result of reckless actions on the part of others and, with the massive height and weight of these vehicles, it is often other motorists on the road who suffer the most serious impact. Austin personal injury lawyer Stephen G. Nagle can help you hold these drivers accountable for the injuries you suffer. He defends your rights against trucking companies, who often have teams of attorneys working on their side in an effort to deny or downplay claims.
Determining the Cause of Truck Accidents
In any type of case involving accidental injuries, determining who is responsible is key to getting you the compensation you need to recover. When it comes to truck accidents involving motorists, there are several common causes.
According to studies conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the most common causes of truck accidents include the following:
- Reckless behavior on the part of the driver, such as speeding, tailgating, drowsy driving, or driving under the influence;
- Lack of driver experience, which can lead them to take turns too quickly or miscalculate stopping distances;
- Improper loading practices, which can make trucks more likely to roll over;
- Poor truck maintenance, such as failing to change brake pads regularly or change tire pressure;
- Scheduling practices on the part of the trucking company, which require truckers to spend extended periods on the road and do not allow for break periods, making accidents more likely.
Defending Your Rights in a Truck Accident Claim
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (DOT), more than 550 truck accidents were reported over the course of 2017. When a truck accident happens due to the above reasons, both the truck driver and the trucking company may be liable for your damages.
However, it is important to realize that paying out compensation to truck accident victims costs trucking companies money. As a result, they have teams of attorneys on their side working to defend them. Common ways in which they are likely to dispute your claim include:
- Denying they or the driver involved was responsible for your accident;
- Claiming that your own actions were partly to blame;
- Disputing the nature or extent of the injuries you suffer;
- Disputing your expenses and the cost of any current or future care you are likely to require.
To ensure you get the maximum amount you need to recover after a truck accident, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side.
Contact Austin Personal Injury Lawyer Stephen G. Nagle
Truck accidents can result in serious and potentially disabling injuries, which can impact you and your family for years in the future. Before settling for less than you might be entitled to in a claim, reach out and contact Austin personal injury lawyer Stephen G. Nagle to request a consultation today.